Pegasus entertained fifth placed Highworth Town at the KGD Stadium in a uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division fixture seeking to avenge a 3-1 away defeat earlier in the season.

The hosts were two goals to the good at the half time interval, despite being reduced to ten men whilst conceding a penalty.

A third goal minutes after the break was enough to secure the points however, the visitors reduced the deficit ten minutes later.

Town not surprisingly pressured the home goal searching for equalisers but, they wasted a number of goal scoring opportunities.

In strong blustery conditions Pegasus broke the deadlock in the fourteenth minute, slightly against the run of play. Jordan Williamson was fouled just outside the corner of the penalty area.

A good free kick from Jamie Price was pushed clear by Connor Johns however, Nathan Chowns-Higgs was well placed to poke the ball into the net.

Town were looking dangerous as expected, from a team that reached the last thirty two of the FA Vase last week but, the Peggy defence held firm at the expense of several corner kicks.

In the thirty eighth minute the visitors gained another corner kick. This was whipped in by Rhys Wells to Liam Haines who headed the ball towards goal. Carlos Moreira made a great one handed save.

Unfortunately, he was not the goalkeeper and was rightly dismissed. Leading goal scorer Josh Davis stepped up to the penalty spot. His strong low shot was brilliantly saved by gloveman Matt Gwynne diving to his right at the foot of the post.

In the fourth minute of stoppage time a cross from the left by Lewis Fletcher was deflected by a visiting defender. It seemed to be destined for a corner kick but, Chowns-Higgs, showing a striker’s instinct, was able at full stretch to guide the ball into the net.

Two minutes after the restart, Williamson gained possession on the left, he cut inside, before curling the ball into the top corner out of reach of Johns.

The “Worthians” were using the extra man to their advantage and reduced the deficit in the fifty sixth minute.

Sol Pryce on the left wing cut inside and curled a shot into the bottom left of the goal despite a valiant effort by Gwynne.

The visitors continued pushing forward in search of goals to salvage a point.

The home defence held firm and, when the visitors gained scoring opportunities Gwynne made crucial saves.

Pegasus were able to manage the game through five minutes of additional time, when Chowns-Higgs and Williamson had goalscoring opportunities on the counter attack.

It must have been a difficult decision but, the match sponsors Neville’s Digital TV, selected Nathan Chowns-Higgs as the player of the match.

With this result Pegasus leapfrogged above Highworth into fourth place in the league table. 

Next Saturday Pegasus travel to Mangotsfield United, whom they beat at the KGD Stadium earlier in the season.