Two men from Birmingham have admitted their part in a shooting in Gloucester which is understood to have been a case of mistaken identity.
Simeon Bernard, aged 39 and of Knightwick Crescent, and 42-year-old Darren Atkins, of Hastings Road pleaded guilty to offences on the second day of their trial.
The men travelled from Birmingham to Stanway Road in Gloucester on 18 January this year (2025) on two motorbikes riding in convoy.
A third man had been riding pillion on the back of Bernard’s motorbike and he has not yet been identified.
Bristol Crown Court was told how at around 9pm the unidentified man knocked on the door of the victim’s address and pointed a gun directly at him when he answered.
Richard Posner, prosecuting, said in his opening speech that the victim was “an innocent man who lived on that road, a man who was not the intended target, a dangerous and almost fatal case of mistaken identity”.
Due to fearing for his life, the victim pushed the gun away and chased the gunman down his driveway and into Stanway Road where the two motorcyclists were waiting stationary on their bikes.
The victim pushed one of the bikes over and both men fell off. He then pushed the second bike over and the rider fell off.
The gun was picked up off the floor and pointed at the victim and misfired, and he was then shot in the leg by Bernard.
During the confrontation the victim’s wife had heard what was happening and ran outside to help her husband.
Mr Posner told the court that she was also injured during the incident by a ricochet rather than deliberately being shot.
After Bernard shot the victim, the trio rode off together on the two motorbikes.
Neighbours came to the victim’s aide and emergency services were called and attended.
The victim, aged in his 40s, was taken to Southmead Hospital in Bristol with a gunshot wound to his right lower leg.
X-rays showed fractures to the two bones and he underwent a number of operations to remove the bullet and realign the leg.
A crime scene investigator found two rounds of ammunition and a spent round on the road and pavement outside the victim’s home.
Gloucestershire Constabulary launched an investigation which resulted in a large-scale trawl of CCTV to trace the movements of the motorbikes.
CCTV footage captured from a neighbouring property showed the shooting. All three men had been wearing motorcycle helmets.
A variety of tactics were used to identify and seize evidence and identify the suspects and on 20 March this year both Bernard and Atkins were arrested from their home addresses.
The pair were charged with attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and they were remanded in custody.
A trial started on Tuesday (26 August), however on the second day both men pleaded guilty to offences which were accepted by the Crown.
Bernard admitted to Section 18 wounding with intent, possession of a prohibited weapon and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
Atkins admitted to possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
The pair are due to be sentenced at Bristol Crown Court tomorrow, Friday 29 August.
Detective Inspector Paula Hannaford said: “This was a horrific incident for a family who we believe were not the intended target, and that this was a case of mistaken identity.
“The actions of the three men will have a lasting impact on the victims. I would like to thank them for their bravery and continued support throughout the police investigation and their willingness to provide evidence.
“My thanks also goes to all those involved in this painstaking and complex investigation – it is due to their efforts that guilty pleas were later provided.
“It is still very important that we identify the third outstanding man as this level of violent crime within our communities will not be tolerated, and I urge anyone with information on who the third suspect is to please come forward.”
You can provide information anonymously to independent crime-fighting charity Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111 or online: https://crimestoppers-uk.org/give-information