Local business owners in Herefordshire are set to continue their campaign against new traffic measures in Hereford, until Herefordshire Council reopens the Old Bridge to motorists.

Earlier this week, Herefordshire Council announced a number of changes would be made to traffic measures across Hereford, after recognising that some things werenā€™t working.

Following feedback from businesses and individuals on the initial measures in Hereford, a number of revisions have been made:

  • The temporary barriers to widen footways on Bridge St, King St and Broad St are being replaced with planters to enhance the appearance of the measures in these historic streets
  • Parking bays have been reintroduced in Broad street as parallel bays (disabled and pay and display bays)
  • Temporary advisory pickup bays have been introduced in King St, which traders have identified as important in current conditions
  • Taxis will be able to travel northbound across the Old Wye Bridge from Saturday 22 August to support this alternative to private car use
  • The proposed bus and cycle lanes on Newmarket St and Blueschool St will not be implemented.

However, business owner Luke Conod has stated that these alterations donā€™t go far enough.

Luke said, ā€œOverall footfall is down 32% when you compare 2019 to 2020, despite the council saying that their has been a 25% increase over recent weeks. Itā€™s time to reopen our Old Bridge!ā€

Business owner Mark Ellis also said, ā€œThis needs a formal apology from Herefordshire Council.ā€