NEWS | Horse dies as a result of eating grass cuttings

On Thursday 30th July, in the Hampton Bishop area police had a report that someone put grass cuttings into a horse’s field.

Unfortunately this has resulted in the Horse losing is life on the 2nd August.

But why?

The grass cuttings begin fermenting almost as soon as they are cut and the horses will gorge on them as they are so palatable, causing a build-up of gas in the Horses stomach.

As horses have a one-way stomach valve, they are unable to vomit or even burp to relieve the pressure. The gases given off by the fermenting cuttings can expand to the point where they rupture the stomach, causing an agonising death.

Choking hazard

As the grass cuttings have been finely chopped up, horses won’t need to chew as much or at all before swallowing the grass. This results in the horse gorging on the pile of cuttings and therefore eating large amounts very quickly. The cuttings can compact and become lodged in the horse’s throat, causing them to choke.

Poisonous Plants

There are many plants that are poisonous to horses. These could be mowed up along with the grass cuttings which may cause the horse additional harm. Depending on the plant, the range of problems include severe diarrhea, liver damage, collapse or even death.

Although feeding horses may seem harmless, your kindness may kill!

https://www.bhs.org.uk/advice-and-information/horse-health-and-sickness/grass-cuttings