What are the new rules?
- Any gathering of more than six people in England will be illegal from Monday Sep 14, unless it meets one of a limited list of exemptions
- This applies to gatherings both indoors and outdoors
- The new rule does not apply to households or bubbles of more than six, or gatherings for work or education
- Weddings, funerals, and organised team sports carried out in a Covid-secure way are also exempt
- People will at first be fined £100, but this will double on each further repeat offence up to £3,200
- No longer voluntary, pubs, restaurants and other hospitality businesses must now legally collect customers’ details to aid with contact tracing.
- Covid-secure ‘marshals’ will be hired to monitor rules are being followed
- Provisional plan to reopen stadiums and conference halls on Oct 1 will now be reviewed
The Government hopes that the change to the law will make it easier for the police to identify and disperse illegal gatherings. Failure to comply could result in a £100 fine, which will double on each repeat offence up to £3,200.