Dog owners across the country are being warned about exposure to a poisonous plant that could cause breathing problems and blindness in our four legged friends.

Dogs Trust has listed Rapeseed as potentially poisonous to dogs, saying that is can cause Haemolytic anaemia, blindness, damage to nervous system, digestive disorders and breathing problems.

Anyone concerned about their dog should visit a vet immediately.

Many dogs will be unaffected by the Rapeseed, with many dogs simply running through it. The main issues can occur when a dog eats some of the Rapeseed. In rare occurrences, dogs have suffered some effects when running through fields that have the plants.

A full list of things that can be poisonous to dogs can be found by visiting – factsheetpoisonoussubstances09.pdf (