Herefordshire Council has announced an extension to the Discretionary Grant Scheme for businesses and charities, and invites any further eligible businesses to apply for funding.
Throughout the pandemic Herefordshire Council has supported local businesses in different but also very direct ways. We have paid out over £56 million of central government grant funding to 4,825 businesses in Herefordshire. Alongside our Discretionary Grant Scheme, we have also provided online training on subjects such as planning your finances; secured funding to support the recovery of the visitor economy, and provided advice and guidance to hundreds of businesses.
As we continue to look for ways to support our local businesses, we have now extended the eligibility criteria for our Discretionary Grant Scheme. In line with government guidance, applications are now invited from Herefordshire based micro businesses, small businesses and registered charities in the following circumstances:
- Businesses or charities that are ratepayers and whose main business premises is in Herefordshire, has a rateable value of less than £51,000 and has not received a previous Covid-19 grant
- Businesses that operate from a shared workspace in Herefordshire where they do not have their own business rates assessment
- Regular market or street traders with fixed building costs, such as rent or licence fees, who do not have their own business rates assessment
- Bed and breakfasts which pay council tax instead of business rates
- Registered charity properties in receipt of charitable business rates relief, which would otherwise have been eligible for Small Business Rate Relief or Rural Rate Relief
Funding for this grant is limited and the council is aiming to maximise the number of Herefordshire businesses supported during the Covid-19 pandemic. The minimum grant paid to any one business or charity will be £2,000 and the maximum will be £10,000.
Councillor Ellie Chowns, Cabinet member environment, economy and skills said: “Herefordshire Council is keen to do all we can to support local businesses to recover from the impact of coronavirus. We’re delighted to now be able to extend this funding to a broader group of businesses who were not previously eligible. We do recognise that there are still some companies that have fallen through the cracks of existing grant schemes are actively considering how we can support them, subject to the availability of funds.”
This fund is only eligible to those who have not previously received a Small Business Grant, Retail, Leisure & Hospitality Grant or a Discretionary Grant.
To find out more and apply for a grant, visit www.herefordshire.gov.uk/discretionarygrant