Over the next 24 hours, we will be introducing you to the candidates that are standing to become West Mercia Police & Crime Commissioner.
Please note – Your Herefordshire hasn’t received ANY financial support or advertising money from any of the candidates standing for election on Thursday.
Labour Party Candidate
Kuldip Sahota is an experienced politician. He has served on the West Mercia Police Authority and was chair of the Telford and Wrekin Policing Board before becoming the leader of Telford and Wrekin Council.
He has been involved in community services in Telford before becoming a Councillor. He helped to secure funding of £210,000 from the European Urban Grant for Telford Cultural and Leisure Centre and then helped to raise £100,000 from the local community to complete the project.
In 2009 he was invited to be on the Board of Governors of the University of Wolverhampton. He served his full nine year term as an Independent Governor and was Chair of the Audit Committee.
As leader of Telford and Wrekin Council between 2011 – 2016, Kuldip’s achievements include:
- Helped in preventing the closure of the Donnington M.O.D. site in Telford, thus saving hundreds of jobs as well as creating hundreds more.
- Every secondary school in Telford and Wrekin was rebuilt or refurbished.
- Introduced an innovative policy to build houses on the council owned brownfield sites.
- Introducing a policy to build a solar farm on council owned land to bring in extra revenue.
- Sanctioning the building of a leisure and retail complex in Telford town centre, known as the Southwater, thus creating hundreds of jobs.
- More police focusing on safer streets and tackling violence.
- Ensure police are on the beat rather than behind desks.
- Fight the causes of crime by ensuring provision of preventative services.
- Tougher sentences for rape and domestic violence.
- A new law to ensure victims are at the heart of the criminal justice system.
Kuldip has always served the public with integrity and rectitude and promises to do the same as your PCC.
Prepared by Election Agent
Mr Sukhdeep Thiara
43 Ketley Park Road